I have been receiving a lot of questions lately on what should go in a CV and how/when to present references. I decided to share with the NewDocs folks as well.
This is simply for the purpose of content. Formatting is not included. Just remember, Keep It Simple. Just because you know how to do some fancy formatting graphics and tables, doesn’t mean you should.
CV´s are typically completed in detail and resumes are a summary. Most practices looking to hire want at least a resume, but would rather a complete CV. Letters of recommendation, copies of dental credentials and certifications can wait until later. Do not provide those at time of application.
- Name, DMD/DDS
- City State, Zip
- Home Phone
- Cell Phone
- Email address
- Website (if applicable)
- State – Licenses number
- DEA license
Professional Career Goals
Write something that lets potential hiring authorities know what you are looking for professionally.
- Dental School, City, State, Graduation Year, notable honors
- Undergrad School, City, State, Graduation Year, notable honors
- Do not include high school or early education. If you have another post-graduate degree you should list it.
- Always list degrees starting from most recent to the oldest.
Residency and/or Notable CE
- Program Name, City, State, Month/Year completed
- Notable CE may be LVI, Kois, Spears, etc.
Practice Ownership and/or Employment History
List by Business Name, Position, Month and year start thru Month and year end. You should also list achievements, strengths, productions, notable skills.
List fellowships, distinguished awards, etc.
List organizations/study clubs you are part of and offices held. Include location.
List community organizations you are involved in and offices held. Include location.
List should include people who are professional colleagues, supervisors, or someone from the community who can vouch for your character and work ethic. At least 3 but no more than 5.
- Address (at least city, state)
- Phone number
- Email (if available)
- Website (if available)
- Your relationship to this person